Friday, July 31, 2009

SAVE THE ST. JAMES THEATRE, AUCKLAND

Oh, the times we have shared! The tears and the laughter. This is all set to become a memory. Over 80 years of Auckland's social heritage is about to be "moth-balled" - buried, partially demolished and forgotten - buried beneath 39 floors of steel and glass apartments.

To be able to provide Auckland with many more hours of entertainment will soon be beyond reach - please don't allow this happen. My hope lies with you, my friends. I am the last of my kind.

Unlike my sister (The Mighty Civic) across the road or my aunt (The Kings renamed Playhouse renamed Mercury) I was designed and built for live entertainment. Sir Benjamin Fuller and his brother John recruited renowned Dunedin architect W.E. White, who built a considerable number of theatres in New Zealand and Australia (the St. James, Sydney and St. James, Auckland - his most proud) to illustrate the entertainment potential they could see in Auckland.

Built by J. T. Julian & Son Ltd, also responsible for the Auckland Railway Station (now student accommodation), all of my fixtures and features were created here in Auckland by various local contractors and manufacturers.

I am a product of Auckland.

My doors opened to Auckland for the first time, July 5th 1928, which saw Elsie Prince star of the musical comedy "Archie" carried across my threshold by Sir Benjamin and John Fuller. It was boasted that I contained more electric lamps than any two other theatres combined. 3000 alone in the auditorium. It was advised to be seated early to enjoy the novel lighting effects. This occasion saw me hailed as the "Theatre Perfect". Of course, much time has passed since then.

Boxing day 1929 saw the completion of my conversion into a 'picture palace' for talkies - six days after, the Civic opened. The Civic would show 10 different pictures during my initial period of success with "Gold Diggers of Broadway" the Warner Brothers "all-colour", "all-talkie" talkie.

During the 30's Eric Mareo led the orchestra that resided here and composed the "St. James March" which featured nightly as play-out music.

As the initial release theatre for MGM films, half of Auckland's total population came between May 15th - June 5th 1941 and saw Gone With The Wind - record-breaking business! Other major movies: Camille, Quo Vadis, An American in Paris, A Star Is Born, White Christmas, Lawrence of Arabia, and James Bond, were all screened here first.

Dec 26, 1953 saw Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh sitting in the royal box to enjoy "The Million Pound Note". This 'royal' visit was also the reason for the hasty 'face-lift' given to hide my tired exterior. If only you could see beneath my facade!

Many live performers have graced the stage, too. The Ice Follies, Shakespeare with Vivien Leigh and Sir Laurence Olivier, England's Royal Ballet, New Zealand Opera, The Bolshoi Ballet, John Farnham, Neil Finn, Sir Howard Morrison and many touring musicals - which would not have ventured to our shores without my capacity at 2040 seats (when built).

New Zealand content has always featured from vaudeville turns to The Smokefree Rock Quest, NZ's International Film Festival, and, Once Were Warriors: The Musical. Over the generations I have played my part.

I am the LAST of my kind. Please help prevent what has happened to all of my generation - His Majesty's 1902 - 1988 , The Grand 1914 - 1972, the Strand 1916 - 1984, The Majestic 1925 - 1961, Regent 1926 - 1974, ...

It is said my children will be demolished.

Odeon was the first fully air-conditioned public building, and when opened in Dec 1957 was the first new Queen Street theatre opened in 21 years, significantly marking a change in more intimate movie-going experiences at 670 seats. The Westend and (new) Regent are younger but their spaces could provide wonderful opportunities within the heart of the Auckland City theatre precinct.

My current owner may not see the potential for my restoration, Auckland City Council may not recognise the long-term productivity myself and children could provide. I understand at 81 I am not a priority - yet I should be. It will be more difficult to return me to my former glory or apply necessary modifications and protection when I have the weight of 39 floors of steel and glass apartments bearing down upon me.

I am helpless! I need you!

Please, share with others the events and cherished moments WE have shared together. The first dates, the events, the celebrations, the final moments.

Like many of my generation, we seem superfluous, yet we hold many memories and have contributed to the fabric of Auckland's society. We are haunted by the destruction of Partington's Mill and His Majesty's Theatre. Am I to be the next victim? Am I to be laid to rest in a water-tight coffin - to be forgotten?

Keep me alive!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/02/2010

    I hope the Auckland Philharmonia or the NZ Symphony Orchestra can help save this theatre and restore it back to a venue for classical music, opera, ballet and stage shows?
    From Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the st james theatre absolutely must be saved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been searching google for ways to get involved in this cause but so far all I can see is to share a photo on FB.
    I really do not see how this would help. Please advise how those interested could be involved.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete